Fall Soccer Update
Lansdowne Boys and Girls Club is monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic to determine whether we will be able to have a fall soccer season this year.
The pandemic forced the cancelation of the spring baseball/tee-ball season and our spring soccer training clinics, which was deeply disappointing for all of us and the families who look forward to these programs.
After consulting with the organizations we compete against, it’s clear that there’s a lot of hesitation and uncertainty about youth sports this fall.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control guidelines for youth sports state that competition between teams from different geographic areas, such as school districts, is the highest risk activity. Team practices and skill building with social distancing and other precautions are lower risk, but it’s difficult to keep the younger players apart or make them wear masks.
The soccer program leaders will make a final decision about the program by the start of August. As an alternative to in-person practices, we may be able to provide a virtual skill building program for this fall, as we recognize the importance of keeping kids active. We will start collecting names and contact information for those who are interested, so check this website for updates.
The Lansdowne Boys and Girls Club (LBGC) is in the process of cleaning out its clubhouse on Baltimore Avenue. As part of that effort, LBGC is looking to give away a variety of items in as-is condition:
- LBGC team trophies and plaques dating back to the mid-1970s
- furniture items: 6 folding chairs (hard plastic with metal legs), 23 non-folding chairs (19 hard plastic with metal legs / 4 solid wood chairs), 10 folding tables (8 round hard plastic with hard plastic legs / 1 round wood laminate with metal legs / 1 long hard plastic with metal legs), 1 large wood conference table
- pool table (smaller than regulation, with balls, rack, etc.)
- electric oven/stove (with hood)
- floor tiles
- eight-foot ladder
- basketball hoop and fiberglass backboard
If you or your community organization are interested in seeing any of these items (first-come, first-served), please contact LBGC at email@example.com by August 1st.